Tamali Chakraborty is an Assistant Professor in the area of Economics at Indian Institute of Management, Bodhgaya. She has obtained her Ph.D. from the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Bombay. Title of her thesis is “Assessing the Impact of SEZs on Local Economy- A Study for India”. Prior to Ph.D., she has done her M.A. in Economics and M.Phil. in Regional Studies from University of Hyderabad.
- Ph.D. Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- M.Phil. University of Hyderabad
- M.A. University of Hyderabad
- B.Sc. (Economics Hons.) Tripura University
- Assistant Professor (Economics), International School of Business and Media, April 2018 - November 2019.
- Research Associate, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Bombay, October 2017 – March 2018.
- Guest Faculty, NITIE, June 2012 – August 2012.
- Research Associate, TEEB (The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity), May 2010 – December 2010.
- Business Economics
- Managerial Economics
- Environmental Economics: Resource management & Sustainable Development
- Business Environment
- Development Economics
- Environmental Economics
View Research Profile
Publications- Journal Articles:
- Thakur, Barun Kumar, Himanshu Sekhar Rout, and Tamali Chakraborty. 2014. Environmental Degradation, Sustainable Development and Human Well-Being: Evidence from India.Manthan: Journal of Commerce and Management, Journal Press India 1(1), 101-120.
- Chakraborty, Tamali; Gundimeda, Haripriya; Kathuria, Vinish. 2017. Have the Special Economic Zones Succeeded in Attracting FDI?—Analysis for India. Theoretical Economics Letters 7 (3), 623-642.
- Chakraborty, T., Thakur, B. K. 2020. Accepted. Ecological Footprint and Sustainable Development: A two way approach. Encyclopedia to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Springer.
- Chakraborty, Tamali; Thakur, Barun Kumar. 2012. “Theoretical Understanding of Special Economic Zone Strategy in India: A Case Study of GMR SEZ of Hyderabad”, In Soundarapandian, M (Eds.), Development of Special Economic Zones in India: Volume one Policies and Issues, Concept Publishing Company (P) Ltd., New Delhi ISBN: 978-81-8069-7722.
- "Economic costs of open defecation in urban slums of Mumbai (INR 1,95,000) during 2017-18 funded by FLAME University Pune as a Co-PI.
- "Quantifying Economic Costs due to Air Pollution in India: Evidence from Bihar” (INR 1, 95, 000) during 2019-20 funded by Bihar Pollution Control Board, Patna and FLAME University, Pune as a Co-PI.
- Chakraborty, Tamali 2017. Reflection on Conflicts Revolving around SEZs in India- Case Study of Mundra, Gujarat. Paper presented at Mandarin Orchard Hotel, Singapore during 2nd to 4th August 2017 organised by Singapore Economic Review Conference. The paper was co-authored by Dr. Haripriya Gundimeda and Dr. Vinish Kathuria.
- Chakraborty, Tamali. 2016. Urbanising India through Special Economic Zones (SEZs) and its impact on the surrounding Environment: Evidence from Mundra, Gujarat, India. Paper presented at IISC Bangalore during 4th -6th January 2016 organised by Indian Society for Ecological Economics, India. The paper was co-authored by Haripriya Gundimeda and Dr. Vinish Kathuria.
- Chakraborty, Tamali. 2014. Economic benefits of SEZs in India with special reference to impact of SEZs on generation of FDI. Paper presented at TIES 2014 during 12th – 14th December 2014 at Punjabi University, Patiala, Punjab India. The paper was co-authored by Haripriya Gundimeda and Dr. Vinish Kathuria.
- Chakraborty, Tamali. 2013. Analyzing the Impact of Mundra Port and Special Economic Zone Limited (MPSEZL) on Coastal Environment of Gujarat, India. Paper presented at Tezpur University during 4th -8th December 2013 organised by Indian Society for Ecological Economics, India. The paper was co-authored by Haripriya Gundimeda and Dr. Vinish Kathuria.
- Chakraborty, Tamali. 2012. Is There any Negative Externality of Urbanization through Developing SEZs on Coastal Biodiversity? Evidences from Mundra SEZ, Gujarat. Paper presented at URBIO 2012 during 8th -12th October 2012 at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India. The paper was co-authored by Haripriya Gundimeda and Dr. Vinish Kathuria.
- Chakraborty, Tamali. 2012. What explains location of Indian SEZs? – Preliminary estimates. Paper presented at TIES 2012 during 1st – 3rd March 2012 at Pondicherry University, Pondicherry, India. The paper was co-authored by Haripriya Gundimeda and Dr. Vinish Kathuria.
- Chakraborty, Tamali. 2011. Assessing the environmental costs of Special Economic zone in the context of India: A Case of Mundra SEZ of Gujarat, India, paper presented at AIT Conference Centre, Asian Institute of Technology, Pathumthani, Thailand, organised by South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics (SANDEE) on 19th May 2011.
- Chakraborty, Tamali; Thakur, Barun. 2010. Theoretical understanding of Special Economic Zone Strategy in India: Case study of GMR SEZ of Hyderabad. Paper presented at 2010 GRU conference on Special Economic Zones in India: Prospects and Implications held during 28-29 January 2010 at Gandhi Gram Rural Institute Tamilnadu, India.
Awards & Honors:
- Awarded Gold Medal from Tripura University for topper of B.Sc. (Economics Hons.) in 2009.
- Awarded ‘Jawaharlal Nehru Scholarships for Doctoral Studies’ by Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund during 2011-2013.
- Awarded ‘ICSSR Doctoral Scholarship’ by Indian Council of Social Science Research during 2013-2015.
- Got full funding for SANDEE for attending a training course on “Environmental and Natural Resource Economics” organised by South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics (SANDEE) from 2nd May- 20th May, 2011 at AIT Conference Centre, Asian Institute of Technology, Pathumthani, Thailand.
- Got full funding from IIT Bombay for attending Singapore Economic Review Conference at Singapore from 2nd to 4th August 2017.