Dr. Mohapatra is an Associate Professor with IIM Bodh Gaya in the area of Finance & Accounts. Prior joining IIM Bodh Gaya, Prof. Mohapatra worked as an Asst. Prof in the Finance & Accounts area at IIM Raipur. He is a P.hD (Finance) and Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration from IIT Kharagpur with Finance and Operations as majors. He holds a Bachelor of Engineering in the field of Computer Science from Visveswaraiah Technological University.
Prior joining academics, Dr. Mohapatra worked as a full time consultant with one of the Global Consulting majors in the domain of Banking and Financial Services. He has led engagements for implementing large transformation programs across front, middle, and back office operation and technology platforms. His solutioning expertise is spread across investment management, portfolio management, post trade processing, asset allocation, financial planning and customer experience in asset management and global expansion.
His wide-range of consulting experience is notably in the area of Enterprise Risk Management, Global Standards and Compliance, IPO process automation, Centralized Depository implementation and CRM Implementations for few of the largest Global Investment Banks during his employment with the Global Consulting wing of the firm. In his last role he was the second lead in formulating the sales and strategy targeting one of the largest Global Retail Banks headquartered out of Europe. His responsibility involved working closely with the European Markets sales executives, Product Development, and Global Consulting Practice Team to help identify, develop, and deliver solutions for the various BFSI opportunities.
His broad area of research and teaching interests lie in the fields of Asset Pricing, Value and Growth Investing, Portfolio & Asset Management, Risk and Regulatory Management, Market Microstructure & Infrastructure, Financial & Banking Analytics (Big Data) and Behavioral Finance.
- PhD in the area of Asset Pricing & Momentum Trading from IIT Kharagpur
- PGDBA from VGSOM, IIT Kharagpur
- B.E. CSE from VTU Belgaum
Work Experience:Academic Experience:
- Associate Professor, Finance & Accounting, IIM Bodh Gaya, Nov 2018 to Till Date
- Assistant Professor, Finance and Accounting, IIM Raipur, Jan 2017 to Nov 2018
- Associate Consultant, Banking & Financial Services Vertical, TATA Consultancy Services Ltd., May 2005 to Jan 2017
- Derivatives & Risk Management
- Security & Portfolio Management
- Project Appraisal & Finance
- Financial Markets & Institutions
- Behavioural Finance
- International Financial Management
Area of Research & Publications:
- Asset Pricing
- Value & Growth Investing
- Asset Management
- Risk and Regulatory Management
- Market Microstructure & Infrastructure and Behavioral Finance.
Publications & Working Papers:
- Mohapatra, Sabyasachi and Misra, Arun Kumar (2019), “Cross-Sectional Returns Predictability for Emerging Market Banks: A Study on Indian Banking System”, Cogent Economics & Finance, Vol.7(1), 1586078
- Mohapatra, Sabyasachi and Misra, Arun Kumar (2019), "Momentum Returns: A portfolio based empirical study to establish evidence, factors and profitability in Indian stock market", IIMB Management Review, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iimb.2019.07.007
- Mohapatra, Sabyasachi, Misra, Arun Kumar and Kannan Marimuthu Murali (2019), “Risk Factors Explaining Returns Anomaly in Emerging Market Banks - Study on Indian Banking System”, Journal of Economics and Finance, Vol.43(4), Pages:1-17
- Rajverma, Abhinav Kumar, Misra, Arun Kumar and Mohapatra, Sabyasachi (2019), “Impact of ownership structure and dividend on firm performance and firm risk”, Managerial Finance, Vol.45(8), Pages:1041-061
- Mohapatra, Sabyasachi and Misra, Arun Kumar (2017), “Does investment style effect portfolio returns: a study on Indian markets”, Global Business Economics Review, Vol.19(3), Pages: 339-355.
- Misra, Arun Kumar and Mohapatra, Sabyasachi (2015), “Indexing CNX NIFTY 50 momentum effects”, Margin - The Journal of Applied Economic Research.- Los Angeles, Vol.9(2), Pages: 157-178.
- Misra, Arun Kumar and Mohapatra, Sabyasachi (2014), “Evidence and Sources of Momentum Profits. A Study on Indian Stock Market,” Economics, Management, and Financial Markets, Vol.9(3), Pages: 86–109.